BSW Disclosures

The Bachelor of Social Work is a terminal degree; however, many students choose to go on to complete a graduate degree in Social Work or other fields. Licensing requirements and exams are directly related to the level of degree a student has earned.

For Utah residents: The BSW curriculum prepares students to take the Social Service Worker (SSW) Exam in Utah, administered independently by the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB). Successful completion of the exam is a required and verified by the Utah Division of Occupational & Professional Licensing (DOPL) in order to receive a Social Service Worker (SSW) license.  DOPL’s process and requirements for the SSW are available on their website.

For students who reside outside of Utah:  In most states, pre-approval by the state regulatory body is required before students can register to take the SSW Exam. Each jurisdiction establishes their own standards and eligibility requirements. At this time, we are in the beginning stages of determining how our program aligns with eligibility requirements of other states.

The ASWB provides the following information for students as they prepare to register for their exam:

In most jurisdictions, you will need to establish your eligibility before you register to take the test. Always check with your social work board before you begin the test application process.

It is extremely important that you know your jurisdiction’s laws and regulations regarding the licensing process. These vary, as do the fees you may be required to pay to your jurisdiction’s licensing board and the deadlines for when they are due. Always follow your jurisdiction’s procedures.

After you have received notification from your jurisdiction’s licensing board that you may take the ASWB examination, you must register with ASWB and pay the required exam fee (US$230 for the Bachelors or Masters exam; US$260 for the Advanced Generalist or Clinical exam). Note: ASWB’s fees are separate from any fees payable to your jurisdiction’s licensing board.

Please reach out to the BSW advisor or the state authorization coordinator if you have questions about eligibility requirements and/or licensing exams related to the practice of social work in your area. We will assist you in anyway possible to determine whether our program, curriculum, and other educational opportunities align with both your education and professional goals, as well as the individual licensing requirements of your state.


Contact State Authorization

Amanda Jean Babcock

(801) 585-5819

Lyndi Duff
(801) 587-7843